Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Year as a Marine

Motivation



1) Trust in Yourself
2) Break the Rules
3) Don't be Afraid to Fail
4) Don't Listen to the Naysayers
5) Work Your Ass Off
6) Give Something Back



My Path

I'm a day off due to some personal commitments and work around here, but yesterday marked my first complete year as a Marine Officer. I spent most of it waiting to begin my career, but everything happens for a reason. Had I started sooner I wouldn't have met the great Marines I have so far, I wouldn't have been around for my family during difficult times, and I wouldn't be the same person with the same experiences. I'm grateful to be in the position I'm in today and look forward to where I will be a year from now. For those who aren't familiar, which I wasn't until recently, Marine Officers are promoted to 1st Lt after exactly two years of active duty. What brought this fact to my attention was what I witnessed during Range Week.

At the tail end of Range Week four 2nd Lts received promotions to 1st Lt. I wasn't sure, at first, what was happening when the whole company was called to attention. I wasn't sure if something had gone wrong, which tended to happen during Range Week, and we were being spoken to by the Company Commander. But once the four Marines were called to the front and center and the Orders were read, it clicked. I would have expected the promotion ceremony to be more formal, but since we were in the field that day, it was in cammies. Typically it would be the Marine's choice of how the ceremony would be done and what attire, but as students we don't always get that luxury.

For being in for a year, I don't feel that I have done much. But people are always quick to thank me for my service. I try to remain humble and acknowledge that I haven't really done anything. I don't have any deployment experience and minimal training. After completing TBS I can say that I have been well trained, but will have more training in a specific field. I know I've taken on a responsibility, but it hasn't yet been given to me yet. Maybe in another year I can feel and say that I've actually done something, but even then I feel that I will have much more to live up to with all of the Marine Corps' history and the experience of those I will some day lead.

This week has been relatively relaxed. We ran the CFT as a platoon on Monday, made a trip to Brandy Station on Tuesday to visit the Civil War battlegrounds and play a large scale Tactical Decision Game (TDG), had classes all day Wednesday, and then had our platoon Obstacle/Endurance Course (O/E Course - 5 Mile Run in Boots and Utes with Gear Over Obstacles) Orientation. It's been nice to have a slower week after Range Week, but once you get used to the fast pace the days go by slower in garrison. My body definitely needs the rest, but I'm looking forward to Field Exercise I (FEX I). I put in a request through my Student Chain of Command to carry an auxiliary weapon, the M249 Squad Automatic Rifle (SAW). I'm hoping I don't regret the additional weight during our FEXs, but I don't think I will. It will be a good experience and provide the opportunity to learn a new weapon system and gain insight into what some junior Marines have to carry and go through with auxiliary weapons.


WOD
20120820
Platoon CFT
Movement to Contact - 2:28 (100/100)
Ammo Can Presses - 111 Reps (100/100)
Maneuver Under Fire - 2:05 w/ Grenade Hit = 2:00 (100/100)
Total Score: 300/300

Wendler 5-3-1 Strength: Week 3 (75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1 or More)
Bench Press: 185#, 205#, 235# (3 Reps)

3 Rounds for Time - 21:43
Uniform - Boots and Utes
20' Rope Ascents (3 First Round, 2 Second, 1)
Ring Pushups (30 First Round, 20 Second, 10)
Toes to Bar (30 First Round, 20 Second, 10)
1.5 Pood/53# Kettlebell Swings (30 First Round, 20 Second, 10)

20120821

Wendler 5-3-1 Strength: Week 3 (75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1 or More)
Back Squat: 235#, 265#, 295# (Failed)

Clean & Split Jerk Work
3 Reps @ 95#
3 Reps @ 135#
1 Rep @ 185#
1 Rep @ 195# (PR)

20120823
Uniform - Boots and Utes
Platoon O/E Course

Uniform - Boots and Utes

Wendler 5-3-1 Strength: Week 3 (75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1 or More)
Military Press: 115#, 130#, 150# (3 Reps)


EMOTM for 10 Minutes
3 Times
95# Snatch Pull
95# Power Snatch
Then
3 Burpees

No comments:

Post a Comment