Saturday, August 4, 2012

Long Overdue

Motivation
"Obstacles are often times stepping stones."
- Prescott


My Path

So it's been a while since I lost posted. I apologize for the delay. We've had some pretty long days this week. The days have blurred together, so I will just fill you in on what all we have been doing.

This last week has been dedicated to preparing us for "Range Week." We have had classes in the morning that describes our weapon systems, how qualification is run, marksmanship fundamentals, and proper weapons handling. After receiving the M16A4 and the M9 (we only have them during the day as they would be too easy to carry off base) we do what is called "snapping in." It consists of dry firing our weapons at a barrel with targets, similar to what we will be shooting at on the range, from each of the different firing positions. The firing positions for the rifle will be prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing while we will only be standing with the pistol. This is good practice to establish good sight picture, trigger control, and target acquisition.

Friday we finally made our way out to the range to zero our rifles and do some more snapping in with both the rifle and pistol. We had our smaller assault packs on for the 2.5 mile hike out to the range. It took our company about forty minutes to get out there. I was able to zero my iron sights at 100 yards in about 9 rounds with the aid of the Primary Marksmanship Instructors (PMIs) and Marine Combat Trainers (CMTs). Once that was established we mounted our Rifle Combat Optics (RCOs) and zeroed those. I kept tight groups at 100 yards with the RCO, but it took about 12 rounds to get them onto the target, right where we wanted them. Then we broke for some chow and "lined out" (a process of ensure that know live ammunition is taken off the range). Then it was time to grab our M9s and head to the pistol range. It's probably about a half mile from the rifle range. Twas a quick pace we took, in order to "correct" some leadership mistakes within our platoon...or so I think.

I felt extremely confident with the pistol while we snapped in. The trigger isn't as heavy, or at least it doesn't feel as heavy, as my Sig Saur P229. Both pistols being double to single action weapons, I felt very confortable with the M9 and had good trigger control. Then it was off to the "Tiers" for some more snapping in. The Tiers is a shorter range with multiple levels of different heights for Marines to snap in on without  flagging (pointing their weapons at each other) one another. Friday wrapped up with a a hike back to the SOQ by platoon. Having an Infantry Officer for an SPC is awesome when it comes to being evaluated and receiving training, but when we hump...it's no joke. We made the same 2.5 mile trip back in thirty minutes. It was a smoke check for many, and some Marines fell back. I haven't felt that awful since the 9 mile at OCS. I don't care if I've put on five pounds since I've been here, while everyone else is losing weight...I am going to be eating as much food and drinking as much water and electrolyte replenishers as I can get my hands on. I don't want to fall out of any humps or field events due to heat. That won't bode well for my getting my desired MOS. I'll cover that topic tomorrow.

With that being said it's time to get some sleep. I stayed up just to get this out and I'm using tomorrow to rest and eat. I'm looking forward to range week, but that means you probably won't hear from me until next weekend, after my post tomorrow, of course. Early mornings and late evenings. I will survive! And yes, I meant for you to sing that. Good night everyone! 


WODs

20120802
Wendler 5-3-1 Strength: Week 2 (70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x3 or More)
Back Squat: 215#, 250#, 280# (3 Reps)

Skill Work, Not Timed
5 Rounds
Muscle Up to 5 Ring Dips (5 First Round, 4 Second, 3, 2, 1)
Toes to Bars (15 First Round, 12 Second, 9, 6, 3)

20120804

Wendler 5-3-1 Strength: Week 2 (70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x3 or More)
Deadlift: 275#, 315#, 355# (4 Reps - Lost Grip)

Single Attempt at Unbroken Double Unders - 118 Reps (PR)
8 Minutes to Establish 1RM Weighted Strict Pullups
5 Reps @ 35#
5 Reps @ 53#
5 Reps @ 63#
2 Reps @ 90#
1 Rep @ 100# (Time Expired - Could have done more.)
Max Reps Weighted Strict Pullups @53# x 3 approx. 2 Minutes Rest Between Sets
10 Reps (Grip Gave)
7 Reps (Muscle Fatigue)
6 Reps (Muscle Fatigue)
Single Attempt at Unbroken Double Unders - 120 Reps (PR)

Strong Man Buddy Circuit
(Each Buddy Completed the Same Amount of Work)
Uniform: Butes and Utes
5 Rounds for Time - 13:10
Hinged Log Press to Fingertip Walk (50# - 10 First Round, 8 Second, 6, 4, 2)
30m Farmer's Carry (100#/Hand)
30m Sled Drag/Sprint (150#)
325# Tire Flip (5 First Round, 4 Second, 3, 2, 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment